LP Consulting Australia has successfully completed a live water main connection without shutting off Sydney’s water assets. A live valve insertion system allows for a valve to be installed into a live main and under pressure with no disruption whatsoever to the water supply or customers.
LP Consulting Australia worked closely with specialist drilling contractors on behalf of approved Sydney Water accredited contractors to produce a successful, high quality connection to a live water main.
The significance of jobs like connecting to live water mains is to maintain water to stakeholders and fire services with minimal disruption.
We were able to maintain Sydney Water assets without shutting off any of the infrastructure, and thereby not needing to send existing Sydney Water clients a main closure notice.
These live tap-in jobs highlight:
- Quicker installation
- No need to install the complete tee and valve installation
- Less stress on the existing water main
- The complete service downstream of the main can be installed and tested with just the final connection to the main to be completed
Another example of providing a new water connection was at 51 Dutton Lane Cabramatta, a new water connection for a shopping centre and residential unit development. The connection involved connecting to a 375mm water, which supplies a large area of Sydney with water.
The water connection was conducted at midnight when water flows through the water main are at low levels. By completing the works at this time, it has less impact if there is a mains failure during the night.
84 Centennial Drive Strathfield was another collaboration between LP Consulting Australia and Sydney Water accredited contractors for a new water connection for 100 town houses built on the existing golf course at Strathfield. The work occurred whilst maintaining water supply to the golf course, adjacent high school and essential fire services within the area.
When completing live works on water mains it is essential that all safety measures are taken into consideration – including traffic control, emergency phone numbers and contacts available on site.
The contractors produced full safety documents together with traffic management reports and safety wear at all times.
Benefits of Connecting to Live Water Mains
Many benefits flow from live tap-ins including:
- Eliminates water supply disruption to customers including key stakeholders
- Eliminates overtime and after-hours cost of cut ins (all connections can be completed during normal working)
- Maintains the pipeline integrity
- Can be completed in less than one hour from assembly of the clamp on the main to the competition of the tapping
- Eliminates potential back flow and contamination of the water supply system
- There is no loss of fire protection during the connections as the water main is live at all times
- No wastage of water or cost to de-water or recharge the water main
- The drilling connection is able to connect to a water main without shutting the main down
For more information on our existing projects and our services from small to large, give LP Consulting Australia a call (02) 9223 4444 or contact us via the webform below and one of our consultants will get back to you.
LP Consulting Australia are leaders in civil and water engineering to drive your project for a successful outcome.